Monday, June 15, 2009

Using Paint.net to create D&D maps

I find even just a little preparation setting up maps makes my life SO much easier. Graph paper is adequate but I'm trying to do everything digitally and current D&D resources on this topic haven't done the trick. If characters want to go back the way they came, I need to know where they were and what was there.


I'm currently trying out resources but here's one trick using Paint.net:
  1. Create a simple 100 x 100 pixel map
  2. Zoom in 1200%
  3. In the menu, select "view" and choose "grid"
  4. Use the fill tool to create a dark grey background
Then, draw out some areas and designate different available colors for different map symbols. I picked some that seemed right to me and then put a legend to the side of the page.



To add more detail to the map, change the canvas size to 700 x 700 or take a screen capture of the picture using FastStone Capture. Those tiny boxes will now become very big ones that you can draw more detail into or type text explanations.

No comments:

Post a Comment