Thursday, April 16, 2009

Bulldozer

My characters were walking around a town that I hadn't planned out well enough. I tried to keep the action moving but I was basically pulling things out of nowhere as the action progressed. The characters felt directionless and vague and because I didn't expect any of this, neither did I.

So I came up with the bulldozer.

He is slow moving, destructive, and scary. He looms in the background when the characters dally too much and helps keep things going. He's been in quite a few shows but the best example I can remember is the sexy evil girl Andrea Parker from The Pretender who was always chasing the hero, but always just missed him. Her job wasn't to catch or hurt the hero, it was merely to push the story forward: she's a bulldozer.

I'm not sure what the bulldozer will actually be in my game but a few ideas came up:
  • In the town everyone's visiting, a scary group of Dwarves who are guarding a caravan might do the trick. The dwarves are growing in power in the north west so their newfound power is turning into a gruff adversarial nature.
  • I'm also considering a magic user who is pursuing them either because they have something he wants or he thinks they have something he wants.
  • Maybe the characters worked for someone in Quartz who had a lot more ties than anyone thought. Those ties make even former employees dangerous.

No comments:

Post a Comment