Sunday, April 12, 2009

PCGen frustrations

Really annoyed with PCGen software, even though it should be everything I like. A big open source software and Java fan so it was almost required that I try to make this go. Unfortunately, I cannot figure out how to buy items and the manual that comes with it is useless. Its as if someone created the most amazing, complete, detailed software and forgot to make it anything but a confusing mess.
  • The support doesn't exist (sign up for an e-mail list -- and you can't read the archives)
  • The online manual doesn't correspond to the latest version so you know they haven't been updating it.
  • One reference to changing buying tools in the option menu doesn't exist.
Its free so I suppose I'm not supposed to complain but got am I annoyed. I'm going to look into the non-free rpgxplorer.com.

Update: this post from 2005 makes some good points that an open system is still necessary. Ugh -- so once more into the breech of PCGen dear friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment